Happy New year!
Just finishing blowing off the cobwebs from 2013, I can't believe I've had my blog just over a year now. I remember this time last year thinking to myself 'hmm a blog sounds like a fun idea, this year I'll try do a blog', and here I am one year later still doing it (which is a big achievement for me because I get bored so quickly).
I also remember no having a clue what to write or to have a theme or just my daily life, that's why if you look at my very first posts they're a little vague and... well..... strange! I can't believe I wrote a post on how we failed to make a frangipane for Burns night complete with a picture of the failed pastry case!
Well I like to think my blog has progressed a little from this time last year, thank you to those who follow me or post comments and even if you just happen to be reading this! I hope you had a very nice new year too and best wishes for 2014!
I just thought I'd share this from Innocent smoothies facebook page because it made me smile about the year ahead....
I also need to mention that next month and up until June I will be revising and doing my GCSEs (exams you take in England in year 11) so I may be posting even more infrequently than normal :(
but please bare with! I haven't forgotten my blog (how could I!?) I will just be revising as that should probably be my number one priority.........
ANYWAY I will stop boring you now and commence onto the subject of cake! :D
So last night was a Friday night and I got back from my first week of school after the Christmas break and i just had one of those cravings, one of those craving which will only be satisfied by......... chocolate!
I knew exactly what I wanted to bake, something vaguely healthy but full of chocolate! (yes I did just use healthy and chocolate in the same sentence). So I baked one of the most comforting thing i know, a banana bread but full of gated chocolate.....
and then covered it in more chocolate......
This recipe is from one of our families favourite cookbooks (link next to title below) and a great thing is that this recipe makes 2 loaves, so you can wrap one up and freeze it so on those lazy days you can just get it our to defrost and cut off a huge piece and smother it in nutella! (remember I only said vaguely healthy)
Chocolate and Banana Bread(makes two 2lb loaves) from cakes and bakes from my mother's kitchen
- 55 grams of butter
- 150 grams of light soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100 grams of natural yoghurt
- 35o grams of very ripe bananas (peeled and mashed)
- 300 grams of self-raising flour
- 200 grams of dark or milk chocolate grated (I used the food processor)
- nutella or chocolate sauce to finish!
- preheat the oven to 180 oC/ 350 oF/ gas mark 4 and line the two tins
- beat the butter and sugar until combined and fluffy
- whisk in the eggs, then the yoghurt and finally stir in the mashed banana
- fold in the flour before adding the grated chocolate and folding once more
- pour into the tines and bake for 35-40 minutes until brown, springey and a skewer comes out clean from the centre
- leave to cool in the tins for 15 minutes before turning out
- for fully cooled cut a slice, smother in nutella and/ or chocolate sauce and eat!