Saturday 11 May 2013

Ultimate Banoffee Cupcakes and Toffee Sauce


 Two little facts about me:

  1. Something I love to eat is mashed green banana on crumpets, I have it for breakfast before school
  2. Something I hate to eat, over ripe bananas, uuurgh, they're just too sweet

But Another thing I love is getting those icky over ripe bananas and baking something even more delicious than bananas on crumpets! 


Last night I went on a school trip to see the horror production 'The woman in black' in the Lowry at Solford, Manchester, you might have seen the film last year staring Harry Potter of course! And I can safely say it was absolutely brilliantly done and pretty scary too, There were only two actors in the whole thing and 'the woman in black' which might sound boring but it made twice as scary...I should probably get back to the cupcakes....
So while we were on the coaches going to the play I sat next to my extremely, unbelievably weird friend who.....who....... who doesn't like banana! Or nuts..... or sausages..... Why am I friends with her? Only joking Anna (;



I could eat a whole banoffe pie for breakfast everyday, it might not be good for my health (in fact I probably wouldn't make it to my sixteenth birthday) but I could so do it. The banana and toffee combo is just beautiful and I would like to take this moment to thank Ian Dowing the creator of the pie (according to wikipedia anyway).  So I hope you enjoy making these cupcakes and the best toffee sauce recipe I've ever found (short, sweet and simple). 

p.s. I hope you like banana!


Ultimate Toffee Sauce

Heat 100 grams of dark brown sugar, 60 grams of butter and 250 millilitres of double cream (heavy cream) in a heavy based saucepan until the butter has melted and the sauce begun to boil. Take off the heat and leave to cool while you make the cake batter.


Ultimate Banoffee Cupcakes (makes 12)

cakes
  • 80 grams of butter at room temperature
  • 100 grams of soft brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp of milk
  • 1 ripe mashed banana
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons of ultimate toffee sauce (see above)
  • 150 grams of self raising flour
decoration
  • 1 banana sliced (or banana chips)
  • 200 ml of double cream (heavy cream)
  • Toffee sauce
  1. Preheat the oven to 180oC/350oF/gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tin with cases
  2. beat together the sugar and butter until light and smooth before adding in the milk, egg, banana and sauce and beating again
  3. gently fold in the flour and divide the mix between the cases. Bake for 15- 20 minute, they should be golden and spring back when pressed. Leave to cool of a wire rack.
  4. For decoration, whip the cream until it begins to thicken and spread on the top of each of the cooled cakes, add a slice of banana (if you don't intend to eat them soon use banana chops of cover the fresh slices with lemon juice) Drizzle over the toffee sauce and thoroughly indulge yourself in the beauty that is banoffee! 


No comments:

Post a Comment