Saturday 13 April 2013

Healthy Nutella

Question- Is here much else in the world better than a jar of Nutella and a spoon?

Answer before discovery- WHAT? Are you serious? no, no no,NOTHING in this world can beat Nutella

Answer after discovery- THIS! it's healthier, faster than going to the shop and... dare I even challenge... tastier!




Okay, 'now you've gone a bit crazy Emily' I hear you say, maybe I have but that's because this week I discovered nut butter. It's just amazing! Who ever was the first person to get a tad carried away with blitzing nuts in heir food processor was a genius. That's all it is! Nut's whizzed up for about 5 minutes to a paste. And it is delicious! Not to mention good for you.

This is another present for my friends along with the homemade oreos so I thought homemade Nutella and homemade oreos would go quite well together. So I looked on the back of a Nutella jar to find the ingredients and (not much to my surprise)I discovered it to be sugar, closely followed by oil, then hazelnuts (only 13%!) and then finally 'reduced-fat cocoa'. I mean if your gonna eat Nutella does it really make a difference that they add 'reduced-fat cocoa' when the highest ingredient is sugar and oil!?



So this Nutella is basically 75% hazelnuts and 25% dark chocolate with a little bit of natural sugar, honey. that's it. It has a heck of a lot more health benefits than shop bought too as, I'm gonna get sciencey, hazelnuts have cardiovascular benefits (making you less likely to get heart disease) because they contain unsaturated fats, meaning they help to lower your blood pressure. The reason they help to lower your blood pressure is because they are antioxidants, as well as containing vitamins and minerals and help to give us a boost of energy. Chocolate also helps act as a antioxidant helping to lower blood pressure and honey is too! Eating some of this for breakfast everyday (in moderation of course) will help you heart! AND IT TASTES GORGEOUS!


Healthy Nutella

(makes just over 200 millilitres)

  • 150 grams of roasted hazelnuts
  • 50 grams of dark chocolate
  • 1 tbsp of honey (more or less depending on the amount of cocoa solid is you chocolate)
  1. break the chocolate into pieces and put into a heatproof bowl before putting over a pan of simmering water to melt
  2. put the hazelnuts into a food processor and whizz until they form a paste (about 5-10 minutes, be patient, it will happen)
  3. add in the melted chocolate, whizz again and taste to see how much honey you think you'll need
  4. spread on toast and enjoy while your heart pumps joyfully for evermore! 

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Emily :) Where I come from, not so much love Nuttela. We're more like condensed milk or strawberry jam :) Or toast with honey and butter :)
    But your recipe is very helpful :) Thanks! I think my son will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried condensed milk on it's own, only combined with other ingredients in puddings, i'll have to try it since we always have a tin in the cupboard. I do love honey and jam on toast though! I hope your son enjoys it(:
    From Emily xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...love this recipe! Nutella is fabulous, but I don't eat much of it since it's more like dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have it in the house much, it's more of a treat (: but because this is healthier we can always have it in the cupboard now!
      From Emily xxx

      Delete
  4. What type of dark chocolate would you recommend to use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used green and blacks which is about 70% cocoa solids, the more cocoa solids the more chocolatey it will taste! I was thinking I might try it with milk chocolate and see how that turns out as it would be sweeter so you might not need the extra honey. I hope you find that helpful (:
      From Emily x

      Delete
  5. Do you know how long it lasts? Is is kept in the fridge? I'm a slow eater so it might sit about for a while. I'm going to try it.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete