Sunday 30 June 2013

radish, borlotti bean, feta and watercress salad with hazelnut dressing (I grew something!)

 Something you should know about me -I cannot grow a single thing to save my life.
......But I grew something!



Radishes. I managed to grow six radishes! They may have been small but they were still grown from seedlings and neglected by myself for six weeks and grew into something edible.



I tried to grow pak choi last year, I really don't know what happened because the plants never popped their heads out the soil once. I also grow carrots and I thought I had actually achieved something. Their green bushy leaves were poking out the soil just asking to be plucked from the ground and eaten. I pulled up the carrot and..... carrot fly had got'em all.......


 There's so much I want to say this post but it's almost 9 O'clock, I'm tired and sadly I've got school tomorrow and an English controlled assessment (yes, another one!). 
Firstly if you looked at the salad ingredients and thought 'whaat? That sounds... um disgusting .... strange'. Think again! 




Firstly, aren't raw borlotti beans just beautiful. I means it's like a little fairy wiggled it's way into the pod and held an infant paint class with purple paint..... as I said it's getting too late for me to be writing this! I was really upset when I blanched them though and the beans turned grey, luckily they still taste great. 



The beans add some butch-ness to the salad (a butch salad?) well you know a kinda texture contract to the watercress and radishes (home grown, I grew them!) which give a peppery flavour. Then you get the nutty hazelnut taste (which is amazing with them borlotti beans) but suddenly the feta and vinegar walk in and they're like, "woah, the party don't start till I walk in!"


sorry about all the photos in this post (the recipe's at the bottom!).

Also next Sunday I'll be going on a school trip til the following Thursday. I am so excited since my passions are: food, fashion, art and food. Paris sounds like my home. The hotel's 'modest' the teacher said but we'll be in the centre of Paris which will be great and I'll be changing 3 or 4 times a day to make sure I wear all my summer clothes in the three days we're there. My summer holiday is in Scotland so I'm not feeling too positive about my play suit up there. 
Also google reader's closing.... TOMORROW! Make sure you remember to follow me on my bloglovin, quickly press the link before it's too late! 


radish, borlotti bean, feta and watercress salad with hazelnut dressing(serves 2-3)

  • 6 radishes
  • 200 grams of borlotti beans or 300 grams including pods
  • 1 small bag of watercress
  • 75 grams of feta
  • 30 grams of hazelnuts
  • 1 glove of garlic
  • 3 table spoons of olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 tablespoon of vinegar (I used damson flavoured) 

  1. depod the beans into a pan, cover in water and simmer for 10 minutes, once done rinse in cold water and leave to the side
  2. wash the radishes, top and tail them, slice them finely and leave them in the bath with the beans
  3. roast the hazelnuts (I did this on a skillet on the hob) And whizz in a food processor until ground with the garlic clove
  4. add oil and vinegar to the ground hazelnuts and garlic
  5. drain the beans and radishes, add to a bowl, toss with the water cress, add the dressing and crumble the feta over the top, Lovely!





No comments:

Post a Comment